Saturday, August 13, 2011

How Far I've Come

Starting with a head concussion at age 4, I have been quite accident prone. From breaking my back and tearing several tendons and ligaments to having multiple tonsillectomies, I have had my fair share of interactions with physicians. Growing up I did not want to deal with people and thought maybe I should be an equine vet. Quickly, that changed in HS due to my biology teacher Mr. Miedema. He challenged me, led me to new research and got my excitement focused on human medicine and genetics. This continued through college. I began as a Biology major and finished with Biology, art, Spanish, and an MBA. I saw a beautiful blending of my three undergraduate majors; working with Central and South Americans on projects like Operation Smile - speaking Spanish while being a physician with an artist's eye for aesthetics and sculptural 3D thinking. My MBA hoping to make changes for the current/future Hispanic health care issues. I could not get to where I am today without my awesome mentors. They each shaped me and gave me memorable advice. My family is my anchor, my friends are my treasure, and my faith is my guiding/steering wheel.

I was apprehensive to the people I would be entering in class with. I have never been a "gunner" or fit in with the "science" kids. Monday, however, changed that. I set up a happy hour with some of the class and was immediately relieved. They were my kind of peeps! Entering orientation Thursday also calmed some of my fears. The school is there to help. Yes, medical school will be hard. They throw a lot of information at us very fast. They liken it from trying to drink out of a fire hose. Either way it will be hard. But under the hottest fires I seem to do ok. 28 credits this fall will only be 7-9 more than I took in undergrad. Bring it on! Looking back on the past 26 years of my life, this is definitely not the path I foresaw. But The Big Man has a plan and I know I'm exactly where I am supposed to be.

1 comment:

  1. Best of everything to you, Amy. I'll be looking forward to hearing about your medical school adventures!

    ReplyDelete