Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Eve of the First Final (aka Common)

It isn't Thursday yet, and here I am posting.... Tuesday was the last day of Trunk anatomy (which is the chest, abdomen, and between the belly button and hoo-ha, for those who don't know). It was also the first day of my non-medical selective "Take Two Poems & Call Me in the Morning." They suggest journal-ing/blogging daily, so here I am. Where was my post last night, you ask? I decided my evening break should be a movie and watched Rio (thanks to my awesome roommate)! A samba dancing blue macaw was just the vivacious, spirit touching relief I needed. In my class Take 2 Poems, we also discussed writing as both a creative outlet and a reflective process for empathy and remaining "human." Statistically, each year of medical school and residency reduces the amount of empathy felt for one's patients. Sad. I chose this giant undertaking because I love people, and I hope that doesn't change. 2 Poems was a great respite from pelvis/perineum/genitalia dissection studies (I know waaaay to much about genitalia now). We read and responded to a piece about a chameleon.  I can't decide if I am or am not like a chameleon. Any thoughts?- I may revisit that idea later this weekend.
     As for today's thought: "When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don't adjust the goals, adjust the action steps" ~Confuscius. "They" try to tell us this at medical school, but it gets lost between the "do well"/"maintain balance" mantras that always seem to contradict each other. I can only be me. My biggest competition has to be me. I need to learn that not getting an A, or even B for that matter, is not only ok, but great. I am still the smart, over active, capable, achievement oriented woman I always have been, I'm just framed slightly differently. It reminds me of when people whose whole identity is tied up in their job and then they retire/can't work and are lost and don't know "who" they are any more. I cannot be that person. I am more than a (medical) student, more than a nerd. I am an artist, a Christian, an athlete, a friend, and grand snuggler of puppies. I am a fighter, a food lover, a movie goer, a shopaholic, a volleyball addict. I am still me. So I will NOT adjust the goal, but I will adjust how to achieve MD. As the first final of medical school tomorrow is approaching, I am still me, sitting on my comfy couch, sandwiched between Diego and Rico, with a reeses wrapper staring at me. So my final thoughts for the night are: God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot learn or cram into my brain, the courage to remember and be confident in the things I can learn, and the wisdom to know the difference. 70% is attainable. 100% is 30% too much. Keep Calm and Carry on!

No comments:

Post a Comment