More than a week has gone by, and yet it seems like it has been months or even a year. To recap -
Last Sunday I succesffully memorized 27 pages of study guide to rock my lecture exam. However, that did not transfer over to the lab exam that I nearly failed. Spending time with my cadaver for hours on end just isn't my thing. While I am so grateful to learn from her body, after about 3 hours the smell makes me loopy and I can't focus. There's also this fine line between learning from others/being overwhelmed when there are too many people in there and the creepiness of being in the cadaver lab alone late at night..... Needless to say, that day I drank my weight in beer at lunch (thank you Zolas for $5 lunches and $1 beers!!!!). The battle may have been lost, but I'm in medical school to win the war! :D So I went and played some of the best sand volleyball of my life on Monday night. I love when jumping doesn't hurt and my shoulder functions correctly. :D
Tuesday started my new "not going to lecture" study schedule which I think is helping. Wednesday was supposed to be my "new" study late in the day in the cadaver lab, but does my life go according to plan, of course not, I'm a Newton. Went for a jog with the boys at Franklin Park, go to leave and my car won't start. AWESOME. While I'm trying to figure out if I can jump my car or not, a guy I play volleyball with walks by with his 8 glorious offspring. Andy House - you are my hero. His truck jumped my car and he and his brood followed me to Shucks auto parts (which sucks btw - 3rd time I've gone to them and they swear my battery is ok, NOT!). After that, my Roomie B shows up to save the day and kill time with me while I wait for a tow truck. After wasting 3 hours, I had to eat some grub and didn't feel like Formaldehyde smelled like a good option at 11pm. BLURGH! Wasted Wednesday sadly did not mean from alcohol. :$
Thursday, however, I rocked lab, felt prepared for my second Lab Exam in one week, and studied 4 hours and decided to get some sleep.... WRONG IDEA - only did mediocre on the Friday lab exam?! I have mixed feelings about this. I feel embarrassed that I was significantly below the class average, but yet they preach everyday that 100% is 30% too much for the pass/fail system. So on a positive note I passed, I got 8 hours of glorious sleep, and I didn't spend any extra time smelling formaldehyde.... Does this make me complacent? Why settle for mediocrity when you can for greatness? This haunts me. However, I had a life that night, watched some tv, and slept.... ? Conundrum. Secretly I care more than that but working on finding the balance. I feel like it is this black cloud that I did lower than the class (although I didn't feel significantly better when I smoked the class average on my lecture exam), do i keep my shame a secret? do i care? I feel like I let down one of my profs, but am finding balance.... I'm sure I'll figure it out.... long after I finish school. HAHA. Well the good thing is the clock never stops and Friday continued on. I worked Friday afternoon even and succesfully did some taxes etc. I rewarded myself with a night at Big Als. There's nothing like drinking from a pitcher being surrounded by hot cowboys to get one out of the funk. I danced my booty off (who knew swing dancing was so fun?), and had a great night with new and long time friends.
Saturday continued the therapy session with getting pretty at MAC, buying some make-up, and of course feeding my addiction (and if you know me you know what kind of retail therapy I indulge in). I also stumbled into Williams Sonoma (which I know to avoid, but it calls to me) found too many cool things, then randomly decided to go to Sports Authority to buy a recumbent bike.... Studying makes me sleepy so riding the bike should ensure no more random napping while doing homework. Saturday capped off with a chatty dinner with a friend and off to bed early! Yay for sleeping! Sunday came and made me realize that 3 weeks ago before medical school started I had a clean house. I couldn't handle it and didn't want to study anyways so I cleaned and cleaned and cleaned.... While many of the Docs tell me I will never have a clean house ever again in school/residency, I couldn't handle it. I knew I had about 6 hours minimum of homework to catch up and 2-4 more if I wanted to get ahead. Well sure enough I studied 4-6, 9-1, funny thats 6 hours that I planned on, but no time to work ahead tho :( BLURGH.... Well Trunk Anatomy/Embryology will be over this week - the FINAL in class is on Thursday. I need to focus. I need to touch a volleyball. I need to life some weights. I need to cuddle some puppies. AND I need to stop having wandering thoughts... FOCUS Back to peer pressure studying, n back to another week at the grind. keep calm and carry on. Until Thursday y'all. :D
No comments:
Post a Comment