Monday, October 24, 2011

Slytherin! Think about it.....


Who wants to be a Gryffindor anyways?! Lol – 
 UWSOM is so worried about people falling in-between the cracks that I am pretty sure I have somewhere between 6-10 advisors. I have a program director and a 3rd year coordinator, 3 clinical medicine advisors, an academic/”House” advisor, and a “college” advisor. My college is “Snake River College” and is headed by a pediatrician. But he is over in Seattle and other than emails/video chat I won’t really interact with him until I am in Seattle next year. However I have a House/Academic advisor here in Spokane.   We are encourage to the take the "House" theme as far as we want.... and of course my group is for it all the way.  We are currently nameless or House of Dr. Harper. But it is a small family like group. We have house colors of hunter green and slate gray. The mascot is a large German shepherd named Boomer. We have not picked an official name but  we all agree Slytherin should be redeemed and has medical connotation (think about it) with their mascot; we also like C.S. Lewis’s school “Magdelin.”  So who wants to be a Gryffindor anyways?! On the same lines, we meet with these groups for functional purposes, deciding clerkships, rotations, etc, as well as social: eating, pumpkin carving, etc.  We discuss are stressors and positives, as well as our futures. One of which is always, "What do you want to di with your MD?" My results for my specialty interest quiz according to the American association of medical colleges career in medicine quiz came back a little surprising.
Specialty Probability
Orthopaedic Surgery 31 %
Dermatology 21 %
Surgery-General 16 %
Emergency Medicine 13 %
Pathology-Anatomic and Clinical 12 %
Otolaryngology 2 %
Family Medicine 2 %
Pediatrics 1 %
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 1 %
Internal Medicine 1 %
Radiology-Diagnostic 1 %
Anesthesiology 1 %
Obstetrics and Gynecology 0 %
Urology 0 %
Psychiatry 0 %
Neurology 0 %
This suggests I am well suited for orthopedics!!! YAY! However plastics wasn’t even included in the quiz. Derm being my second was interesting to me. The fact that otolaryngology was so low was a little disheartening as being an ENT had been on my radar lately. But this isn’t a definitive test but is a preference/personality test to pick a “good fit.”
It's too early to decide anyways, but it's fun to ponder :D

No comments:

Post a Comment