It's dreary outside today and while I love fall and cold weather, it makes me miss the fun I had this summer. As most people know, I am an avid volleyball player. In the winter last year I played 4-5 days a week! So as spring starts to roll around and the schools close I usually get a little cranky. Well this year I decided to try my hand at some grass 4s volleyball. Corbin Park was an A/B league for grass ballers. It started in May and went through mid July. I had a blast even though no one on my team had ever played outdoor before. The friends I made playing grass were many. One of them decided to drag me to local sand court. (Most people would say one of the local sand courts, because there are 3, but really the sand & net is only legit at one!) I was very nervous as volleyball people in generally are cliquey, but sand ballers are even worse! Well, needless to say, I made a lot of friends, ended up playing a ton of sand/beach volleyball this summer, and wasn't half bad at it. At one point we counted that I went 29 days in a row! So once medical school started on Aug 11, while summer was still beautiful and still in full swing (so punny) I was pretty sad about how much game time I would see from then on. Well I tried to play once every other week, which worked out ok, but I could definitely tell I was loosing my fitness level fast. So when the opportunity presented itself that I play in my first doubles tournament, I jumped at the opportunity. On September 18, 2011 I played in a co-ed doubles (yes that’s only 2 people) sand volleyball tournament. There were 8 teams, and the day began with pool play. And the morning started rough. Rainy. Cold. Stiff. But by mid day the sun was shining and warming my soul, and bones for that matter. I played pretty well, smart and hard. I was a diving machine and had some pretty awesome saves. It ended up being exhausting and I was more than happy to sit after conceding to 3rd place (and $50 prize monies!). Not bad for it only being the 7th time I EVER played doubles in my entire life. Since school started and has been quite rough, I needed that great day of fun, sand, sun, and beating the crap outta the volleyball. Until next Spring fellow Maxers, until next spring. And I can't wait!
No comments:
Post a Comment