Tuesday, October 18, 2011

1 month! - really it has been waaay too long

Wow - a month flew by too quickly - warning: long post.

So around September 19 anatomy ended. September 20th we started the regular "semester" classes: Biochemistry, Cell Physiology, Systems of Human Behavior, and Histology (microscopic anatomy). We added non-clinical electives and a "Preceptorship" too (more on that in a bit). We also continued taking the Medical Information and Decision Making (Evidence based medicine - look it up), Intro to Clinical Medicine (round and patient interviewing with lecture too). Yes that's 28 credits, no big deal.

My non-clinical selective include 1) a bi-semester Stress Management seminar, which is a 1 day relaxation/stress studying/meditation seminar, fall in spokane, spring in pullman; 2) Medical Thinking and Reasoning,  which is like a mini PBL (problem based learning) clinical case each week with medical and pharmacy students, and 3) Take Two Poems and Call Me in the Morning - is a writing/reflective class for patient empathy and self-reflection.

My Preceptor which is a nice way of saying "person I job shadow," is awesome. We were allowed to rank 4 choices (i ranked sports orthopedics, cranio-facial plastics, ENT (ear/nose/throat), and pediatric oncology). I was placed with Dr. William Page, an upper extremity (hand/wrist/elbow/shoulder) orthopedic. HE ROCKS! He graduated from UW too and also did WWAMI (but in pullman). He performs a lot of carpal tunnel and cuboidal tunnel releases, trapeziectomies, proximal row carpectomies, full shoulder replacements, finger reattachments and many other things.  (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2011/jul/27/boy-loses-5-fingers-in-accident-at-bmx-track/)- this little boy rocks, Dr. Page saved 3 fingers and the kid is already back on the track! Dr. Page is a wealth of information and is selling ortho to me well... :D sorry to all my friends/family that are hoping for the plastic surgeon... still too early to tell.

Friday Sepetember 21, 2011 my fam came into town (my mom, dad, and grammy + her 3 sister (the 4 old ladies road tripped to Spokane together!)). They all came to see me take an oath and receive my white coat and stethoscope. pics should someday be posted lol (MOM!) The weekend was filled with family time, rearranging my furniture, getting my new iPad, and eating at Wolf Creek Lodge for my celebratory dinner. Thanks to all my family and friends who joined me at the ceremony. I really felt loved, supported, and blessed.

Now I am 2 exams (out of 5 plus a final) into my semester. Trucking along. While I am super busy, I am trying to find a workout buddy still and usually take 3-4 hours of every friday off - so if you want to see me that would be the best time (I've got to eat right?!) :D

I will try to belong more often - sorry for the long delays - things to come (sand doubles tournament, GHIG, house of harper, world relief organization, massages, ipad, my new furntiure, the boys, my awesome roommate, future musings.... i may even post some of my writings from my poem class) SOOO much to blog about! until next time folks - KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON!

No comments:

Post a Comment